Tuesday 15 May 2012

A Day in the Life of an Aspiring

Being an Aspiring is not easy. Right now I am an aspiring author. I might even be an aspiring musician. I have an idea to create a youtube video, a concept song (at least one) that will go along with Hexington. I have some old material that I was working on as a concept album to a novel I will probably never release, and it might work.

An Aspirings life can be daunting. I wonder whether my time might be better spent doing something else. The world outside my head isn't as forgiving, and the bills keep piling up. Aspirings do not make much money. We are an investment for the people around us with not much hope of a healthy return. What a whopping return it would be though--you know, if it paid off! That is why we become Aspirings in the first place.

I am still young, though hardly as young as I used to be. I imagine that, just like gold miners, there have been a frightening number of Aspirings that wasted their lives away and never struck paydirt. The trick, I think, is to be an Aspiring for the right reasons. Of course, for many of us, the overriding reason is that we have no choice. Hopefully someone takes notice: someone with an important signature that looks good on cheques. Hopefully we gather at least a small cult following of fellow human beings who enjoy our work. At the end of the day, I am an Aspiring because I love wasting my hours away writing music and stories, drawing pictures, or just plain being an immature goofball.

If you are a fellow Aspiring, have faith. Everyone should be good at something, even if that something is simply having big dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment